[LAU] [Music] Fair Enough aka The AFAICT Song

David W. Jones gnome at hawaii.rr.com
Mon Mar 18 22:20:25 CET 2019

On March 18, 2019 5:05:18 AM HST, Arve Barsnes <arve.barsnes at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Mon, 18 Mar 2019 at 15:28, Paul Davis <paul at linuxaudiosystems.com>
> wrote:
> > On Sun, Mar 17, 2019 at 8:26 PM david <gnome at hawaii.rr.com> wrote:
> >> Would love to listen to it, but I use Firefox without PulseAudio
> >> installed, so cannot play anything at SoundCloud.
> >
> > It sounds to me as if you mean "I cannot listen to any audio from my
> web browser". There's nothing about SoundCloud that requires
> PulseAudio - it's just the way your browser gets audio out into the
> world.
> >
> > I'm no fan of PulseAudio but I cannot fathom why anyone would choose
> to cut off their nose to spite their face over this.
> >
> > Or maybe I'm missing something.
>
> If that's the only option, your position is perfectly rational Paul.
> What David might not know is that Firefox can still work just fine
> with ALSA, as it does on my computer. It might not be maintained in
> Firefox any more (I'm not sure), but the code is still there, enabled
> at compile-time with --enable-alsa. Maybe check with your distro
> maintainer.

My distro is Debian. They seem to be mandating PulseAudio for Firefox and their Gnome desktop environment. But I think even the FF65 package I downloaded from Mozilla mandates PA.

My history with PA is of endless hoop jumping as it always wanted to have all audio go through either the built-in HDA (not connected to anything), or route it to HDMI (useless since my monitor has no speakers, anyway.) My external USB device always got ignored.

In general, the only time I need audio from Firefox is when I rarely play something from a website. Since youtube-dl works on Soundcloud, I'm ok.

--
David W. Jones
gnome at hawaii.rr.com
authenticity, honesty, community
http://dancingtreefrog.com

Sent from my Android device with F/LOSS K-9 Mail.