[LAU] [Music] Fair Enough aka The AFAICT Song

Arve Barsnes arve.barsnes at gmail.com
Mon Mar 18 16:05:18 CET 2019

On Mon, 18 Mar 2019 at 15:28, Paul Davis <paul at linuxaudiosystems.com> wrote:
> On Sun, Mar 17, 2019 at 8:26 PM david <gnome at hawaii.rr.com> wrote:
>> Would love to listen to it, but I use Firefox without PulseAudio
>> installed, so cannot play anything at SoundCloud.
>
> It sounds to me as if you mean "I cannot listen to any audio from my web browser". There's nothing about SoundCloud that requires PulseAudio - it's just the way your browser gets audio out into the world.
>
> I'm no fan of PulseAudio but I cannot fathom why anyone would choose to cut off their nose to spite their face over this.
>
> Or maybe I'm missing something.

If that's the only option, your position is perfectly rational Paul.
What David might not know is that Firefox can still work just fine
with ALSA, as it does on my computer. It might not be maintained in
Firefox any more (I'm not sure), but the code is still there, enabled
at compile-time with --enable-alsa. Maybe check with your distro
maintainer.

Cheers,
Arve