[LAU] How to get a persistent midi instrument source port? ( lightweight )

hgn hgn at posteo.org
Sun Mar 24 11:01:52 CET 2019

Dear list,

to avoid the https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/XY_problem I'm going to tell
you my goal first, then my current route to a solution, with a missing
piece.

I work with several midi instruments. Some of them USB, some of them
DIN, all of them have different names. Only ever one is connected at
once.
I want my programs to accept data entry from my instruments, no matter
which of them is plugged in.

What is the easiest way to do this?

My current idea is to establish a virtual jack midi thru port. All
software can use this port as midi data source.

Hardware instruments then get be connected via one of the many
auto-connector solutions: The one built into QJackCtl or
https://github.com/SpotlightKid/jack-matchmaker , which is what I am
using already.

The virtual jack midi port is the missing piece.
What is the best way to get one? "Best" means least resources, least
administration overhead.  E.g. any answer involving the words "plugin
host" is already too much. Ideal would be a simple daemon program I can
autorun after starting jack (with qjackctl script-after-start)

So I am either looking for that midi thru port or a different solution
that works even better.

-hgn

P.S.
In case the JACK devs are reading:
AFAIK Jack works under the assumption that audio System out 1 and 2 are
the main abstracted stereo outputs and are available on any system. This
leads to great portability across all systems.

I consider midi data entry with a single instrument an equally typical
use case and would like to propose to add a single midi thru port to
JACK directly. No more, no less, nothing to configure, nothing to check
for as user or developer.