[LAU] Behringer UMC1820 suddenly stopped working with JACK2 (after re-install)

nik at parkellipsen.de nik at parkellipsen.de
Tue May 7 00:02:05 CEST 2019

David Runge wrote on 06.05.2019 23:20:
> Hi Niklas,
>
> On 2019-05-06 22:24:33 (+0200), nik at parkellipsen.de wrote:
> > jackd -P98 -dalsa -dhw:2 -p512 -n3 -o2 -r44100
> Add some more verbosity with `-v`
>
> > ALSA: use 3 periods for capture
> > ALSA: final selected sample format for playback: 24bit little-endian in
> 3bytes
> > format
> > ALSA: cannot set channel count to 2 for playback
> > ALSA: cannot configure playback channel
> > Released audio card Audio2
> > audio_reservation_finish
> > Cannot initialize driver
> > JackServer::Open failed with -1
> > Failed to open server
> And you're sure it is not already running and/or being used by something
> else (e.g. pulseaudio)?

Hi David,

I don't have pulseaudio installed, so I'm pretty sure that can be ruled out.
There's no other program running that could block the device, as far as I can see.

The only two other things I notices are the strange sample format and the this two messages in dmesg that
appear when switching the device on after attaching (not when attaching the already switched-on device)

[   37.512914] usb 1-2: device descriptor read/64, error -71
[   37.742890] usb 1-2: device descriptor read/64, error -71

-v says:

jackdmp 1.9.12
Copyright 2001-2005 Paul Davis and others.
Copyright 2004-2016 Grame.
Copyright 2016-2017 Filipe Coelho.
jackdmp comes with ABSOLUTELY NO WARRANTY
no message buffer overruns
no message buffer overruns
no message buffer overruns
JACK server starting in realtime mode with priority 98
self-connect-mode is "Don't restrict self connect requests"
Jack: JackPosixThread::StartImp : create non RT thread
Jack: JackPosixThread::ThreadHandler : start
Jack: playback device hw:2
Jack: capture device hw:2
Jack: apparent rate = 44100
Jack: frames per period = 512
Jack: JackDriver::Open capture_driver_name = hw:2
Jack: JackDriver::Open playback_driver_name = hw:2
Jack: Check protocol client = 8 server = 8
Jack: JackEngine::ClientInternalOpen: name = system
Jack: JackEngine::AllocateRefNum ref = 0
Jack: JackLinuxFutex::Allocate name = jack_sem.1000_default_system val = 0
Jack: JackEngine::NotifyAddClient: name = system
Jack: JackGraphManager::SetBufferSize size = 512
Jack: JackConnectionManager::DirectConnect first: ref1 = 0 ref2 = 0
Jack: JackGraphManager::ConnectRefNum cur_index = 0 ref1 = 0 ref2 = 0
Jack: JackDriver::SetupDriverSync driver sem in flush mode
audio_reservation_init
Acquire audio card Audio2
creating alsa driver ... hw:2|hw:2|512|3|44100|0|2|nomon|swmeter|-|32bit
configuring for 44100Hz, period = 512 frames (11.6 ms), buffer = 3 periods
ALSA: final selected sample format for capture: 32bit integer little-endian
ALSA: use 3 periods for capture
ALSA: final selected sample format for playback: 24bit little-endian in 3bytes format
ALSA: cannot set channel count to 2 for playback
ALSA: cannot configure playback channel
Jack: JackDriver::Close
Jack: JackConnectionManager::DirectDisconnect last: ref1 = 0 ref2 = 0
Jack: JackGraphManager::DisconnectRefNum cur_index = 0 ref1 = 0 ref2 = 0
Jack: JackEngine::ClientInternalClose ref = 0
Jack: JackEngine::ClientCloseAux ref = 0
Jack: JackGraphManager::RemoveAllPorts ref = 0
Released audio card Audio2
audio_reservation_finish
Jack: ~JackDriver
Cannot initialize driver
Jack: no message buffer overruns
Jack: JackPosixThread::Stop
Jack: JackPosixThread::ThreadHandler : exit
JackServer::Open failed with -1
Jack: Succeeded in unlocking 82280346 byte memory area
Jack: JackShmMem::delete size = 0 index = 0
Jack: ~JackDriver
Jack: Succeeded in unlocking 1187 byte memory area
Jack: JackShmMem::delete size = 0 index = 1
Jack: Cleaning up shared memory
Jack: Cleaning up files
Jack: Unregistering server `default'
Failed to open server