[LAU] Streaming low-latency bi-directional audio between Android 4.x and a Linux desktop

Stuart Longland stuartl at longlandclan.id.au
Sun Nov 3 05:28:45 CET 2019

On 3/11/19 2:17 pm, Len Ovens wrote:
> Mummble? There are more than one mummble clients avaiable for android
> and of course linux as well.

Ahh okay, yes, I could try that.  I actually have plumble installed on
this phone already (for a different task), but I'll give that a shot.

> I think mummble uses opus by default which
> is 5ms (or can be) and at least between desktops seems very
> instantaious. The android audio stack tends to be laggy, I think there
> is an alsa in there somewhere but the application only sees it through a
> higher level API which on most smart (cough) phones/tablets seems to
> introduce too much delay. Playing drums on the screen for example is too
> latent to be able to play with myself even. Hopefully your device is
> better.

Yeah well, this is why I'm not being too picky about latency.
The device is a ZTE T83 (with a pirated Linux kernel no less… they do
not comply with Sect. 3 of the GPLv2), not exactly the pinnacle of
mobile computing.  That said, this device seems to work in parts of the
worlds where others do not, so I'll put up with its imperfections and
dated OS.

I have a tool called 'Microphone' installed on that phone which feeds
microphone audio out to the headset jack -- mainly intended for use with
a male-male 3.5mm cable to provide a microphone to a computer, but it
can also serve for testing a headset connection.  I notice a little bit
of latency, maybe 100ms, which is fine for this application.

If we can keep the latency below a second, it'll be good enough-ish --
it was tens of seconds that I didn't like. :-)
--
Stuart Longland (aka Redhatter, VK4MSL)

I haven't lost my mind...
  ...it's backed up on a tape somewhere.