[LAU] How to automatically start zita-j2a/a2j with jack?

Brent Busby brent at keycorner.org
Wed Oct 16 17:24:55 CEST 2019

Joakim Hernberg <jhernberg at alchemy.lu> writes:

> On Tue, 15 Oct 2019 12:47:09 -0500
> Brent Busby <brent at keycorner.org> wrote:
>
>> This is something I'm interested in doing, but I've not looked into
>> whether it's possible or what would be necessary -- using Jack 2 with
>> multiple interfaces.
>
> For best results make sure that you sync the cards externally so that
> they run on the same clock and don't need to resample audio, you could
> probably do that via adat/spdif with your cards.

Yes, I was planning on connecting the clock ports and recording with
both at 96kHz.  The Multiface sounds very dark/murky if you don't run it
at 96kHz (filter optimized for that rate?), and the Babyface can do that
rate but it sounds good at any setting, so it looks like we need 96kHz
to make them both happy.

> You'll probably get different roundtrip latency on the different cards,
> it's likely that the babyface will have quite a lot more than the
> multiface. Still it ought to be doable, don't know how well it works in
> a production environment.

This is just to get drum tracks recorded.  No realtime processing or
plugins during recording will be needed.

> Or alternatively you might be able to transfer audio from the
> babyface to the multiface using adat/spdif, which might be a better
> solution.

Record into the analog ins of the Babyface, and route it to the digital
ports?  I presume I'd be doing this through Jack, since there sadly
isn't anything like hdspmixer for USB devices like the Babyface to let
you control routing in hardware right on the device.

(Sometimes eight channels just isn't enough...)  :(

--
		+ "The introduction of a new kind of music must