[LAU] what is a good linux distro that supports Ardour?

Dominique Michel dominique.c.michel at gmail.com
Sun Oct 20 13:51:20 CEST 2019

Le Wed, 16 Oct 2019 13:40:04 -0700,
jim <jim at well.com> a écrit :

>      My current system is pretty old. It's running
> on a five-year old desktop Zareason computer.
>      I'll replace the hard drive and want to install
> a new distro. What's your recommendation?
> with thanks,
> jim

You can use any distribution that provide ardour.

With an old computer, I would definitely use a distribution that
provide the rt-sources with the cgroup functions disabled. It have the
advantages of being much simpler, and simpler to manage, than a
systemd/cgroup realtime audio based setup, and to not include that
paranoid crap wanted by big corporations.

Also, I would compile my own kernel from the distribution's kernel and
change its processor config to correspond to the processor of the
machine. This alone will give you a speed boost of around 10%.
You must install the kernel sources corresponding to your kernel, along
with its .config file. When done, run

make oldconfig
make menu config

In it got to "Processor type an features" ---> "Processor family" and
change it for the best optimisation for your hardware.
Save the config, exit, compile and install the kernel by following
the procedure of your distribution. It's intimidating the first time,
but in fact quite easy.

Dominique

If you have a problem and you are not doing anything to fix it, you are
at the heart of the problem.