[LAU] SynthfestUK 2019

Will Godfrey willgodfrey at musically.me.uk
Sun Oct 20 20:48:22 CEST 2019

Oops, almost forgot this :o

I'm now quite well known by the Synthfest organisers and even had a pre-printed
badge this year :)

I had a hour to set up, but actually managed to get everything up and running
within half an hour, including a Raspberry Pi 3B.

Once set up, I had time for a quick look around the other stands. The balance
was more towards hardware rather than software this year, and I didn't see
*any* windows boxes at all. There was lots of modular stuff, kit form as well as
pre-built.

The big boys, Yamaha, Korg, etc. had their own individual rooms on the lower
floor, and the talks were held in a nearby annex. Unfortunately I wasn't able to
get away to see any of those - I think I need an assistant on the stand!

When the doors were opened, it became very busy indeed. Something like twice as
many visitors as last year, and more seriously interested rather than just
curious. I was kept pretty occupied the whole day. I had the pleasure of two
very good musicians playing on the laptop driven larger keyboard, one of which
decided the 64ft Organ sound was ideal for a quick rendition of Bach Toccata &
Fugue in Dm!

The Raspberry Pi, got a lot of interest, and outright astonishment from quite a
few people. There is a very good chance we'll get more users via this route.
The idea of this as a stand-alone synth 'module' seemed to catch on straight
away.

I had plenty of the flyers from last year and a good number of them were picked
up. I also had 40 laminated 'mini' banners with contact info on the reverse
side - I only brought three of these home!

The guy who got the big banner printed for us brought it with him, but his
train was delayed, and he was only able to get it to me mid morning. He'd been
told they'd actually printed two copies, but didn't realise they were both on
one sheet, and we didn't have the means to cut it in half. We quickly put it
up, but it's not quite how I intended - nevertheless it looks very good.

I love the way the person who produced the artwork came up with the expressions
on all the little robots :)

Photo here - quite good detail if you zoom in :)
www.musically.me.uk/Photos/Synthfest2019/Synthfest2019_12.jpg

--
Will J Godfrey
http://www.musically.me.uk