[LAU] Using a memory file system?

Jostein Chr. Andersen jostein at vivaldi.net
Fri Sep 27 15:42:09 CEST 2019

Hi,

I have no problems with xruns and that stuff during recording with
Harrison Mixbus, but rarely (but very annoying when it happens), Mixbus
complains that my system can't catch up.

I'm using three SSD disks, one for the system, one for audio projects
and one for my sound libraries. I can usually record on very short
latencies when also playing or trigger software players or synths
without getting into trouble, but occasionally, Mixbus32C (and even
Ardour) says that the system can't catch up and the recording is
interrupted. This is not very fun when I'm in a creative mode and need
everything to flow, I normally make sure that every track I hear is a
wave track as much as possible in order to avoid this problem and my
SSDs are Samsung EVOs.

So here is what I'm thinking and wondering: Is it possible (or any idea)
to record into a RAM file system while recording and let the OS shuffle
everything into the SSD during less busy periods? I have 32 GB RAM so
it's no worries when it comes to RAM size. If it might be an idea,
what's the best way to do it?

I might have to look further into IRQ's and so on but can't see anything
else that the system is very optimized. I have a i7-4790K CPU at 4GHz, the
soundcard has exclusive access to IRC 19 and I have done all the
ordinary audio settings an so on. So for now, I'm really curious to find
out if a RAM-solution is anything good or not. What do you think?

Jostein