[LAU] Best collaboration software...

Will Godfrey willgodfrey at musically.me.uk
Fri Apr 3 11:52:33 CEST 2020

On Fri, 3 Apr 2020 11:38:02 +0200
Giso Grimm <gg3137 at vegri.net> wrote:

>On 03.04.20 10:27, rosea.grammostola wrote:
>>
>> On 4/3/20 9:43 AM, Lorenzo Sutton wrote:
>>> I'm sure there are many other workflows and related
>>> platforms/software... :-)
>>
>> On GNU/Linux is it worth to mention that the Non-Session-Manager [1]
>> saves all your settings in one folder, which makes it more easy to share
>> session between Linuxmusicians, might help when you use the same
>> software (Kxstudio for instance).
>>
>> Netjack [2] comes to mind. Ardour [3] is crossplatform.
>
>last week we successfully tried zita-njbridge to get a high quality
>audio link between Norway and Germany. No audible dropouts, however, the
>round trip latency without the sound cards 72 ms (measured with jdelay),
>which was too much for a satisfactory jam session. We used the default
>settings of zita-njbridge, no buffer tweaking, 24 bits/sample, 2
>channels. On both ends we have a rather good internet connection.

Interesting and rather impressive!

I have a suggestion. Have one person sending a 'host' track to the other
players, with an agreed pattern of 'slots' each player would solo. The players
hear both the host track and their own work, but only send back their overlay.

These incoming tracks are recorded by the host separately, who can then make
individual latency adjustments to get them all in sync.

It does of course miss out on the immediacy of a real jam session.

--
Will J Godfrey
http://www.musically.me.uk