[LAU] zita-njbridge between arm and x86_64? [solved]

Giso Grimm gg3137 at vegri.net
Sat Apr 4 08:27:02 CEST 2020

On 04.04.20 01:04, Chris Caudle wrote:
>> On Fri, Apr 03, 2020 at 10:46:28PM +0200, Giso Grimm wrote:
>>> using zita-njbridge between two x86_64 systems works great. However,
>>> when I try to connect an arm-based system (Banana Pi M1) with a 64 bit
>>> system things get less stable (dropouts even with large buffers, error
>>> messages, segmentation fault on the 64bit side). I tried the Ubuntu
>>> 18.04 provided version (0.1.1) as well as a freshly compiled version
>>> (0.4.4). Did anyone successfully try zita-njbridge on arm-based systems?
>
> On Fri, April 3, 2020 4:40 pm, Fons Adriaensen wrote:
>> Maybe the same problem as with the RPi3: network and USB audio don't
>> go well together because the network interface is actually a USB device.
>
> Performance problems on the ARM side don't seem like a good explanation
> for a segmentation fault on the x86 side.   Dropouts and error messages
> would likely be explained by that.
>
> Performance problems on the ARM side is not necessarily a given though,
> the processor used on that device has a dedicated Gb Ethernet MAC, so
> unless the chip architecture (Allwinner A20) is really broken, it should
> be able to handle a single audio stream without choking.

The segmentation fault seems to be gone when using jack2 instead of
jack1 on the arm side (which doesn't make too much sense for me, because
the segmentation fault always happened on the x86_64 side - maybe
corrupted packages not handled by the receiver side).

Increasing the buffer size on the x86_64 side also removes the dropouts
- there seems to be more jitter on the arm side (which is currently not
running a real-time kernel).

Cheers,

Giso