[LAU] Problems with Jack after upgrading Mint

Bill Purvis bill at billp.org
Tue Apr 21 18:10:10 CEST 2020

I've not done much of late, busy with other things, but I had cause to
update Linux Mint to
19.3 last week. Just tried testing various things and hit problems with
Jack.
I'm running jackd2 1.9.12~dfsg-2 and get noises with nothing running,
and when I try running
some midi files via Calf Fluidsynth, the noises are nothing like what
they should be.
I then switched to using the latest Yoshimi (1.7.1, thanks Will) and
that also produces
awful noises.

However, if I shut down jack, yoshimi happily switches to direct via
Alsa and sounds perfect.

However, my sequencer (home-grown) relies on Jack, and Calf Fluidsynth
also seems to be
fixed on using Jack.

Any ideas where to start tracking down this problem?

Bill
(getting older... :-( )