[LAU] jack-rack amplifier gain

John Murphy rosegardener at freeode.co.uk
Thu Apr 23 23:53:54 CEST 2020

On Wed, 22 Apr 2020 16:28:22 +0100 John Murphy wrote:

> On Wed, 22 Apr 2020 00:17:45 +0200 Christopher Arndt wrote:
>
> > Am 21.04.20 um 16:41 schrieb John Murphy:
> > > I need 6dB gain in the jack-rack Stereo Amplifier. What number
> > > should I put for the 'Gain' amount? Or, what does the number
> > > there refer to?
> >
> > I just uploaded a stereo gain plugin to our collection of simple example
> > plugins for the DPF framework.
> >
> > This plugin uses dB as the gain paramter unit, has parameter smoothing
> > (i.e. no clicks when automating it) and compiles to LV2, LADSPA, and
> > VST2 format.
> >
> > https://github.com/osamc-lv2-workshop/stereogain
>
> That's perfect! Thank you. The value I was using for Gain in the
> 'Stereo Amplifier' turned out to be too much by about 2 or 3 dB.

But 6dB boost was again too much. I started wondering if Windows
decibels are different to Linux ones, as I'd previously used 6dB
boost there. I booted to that OS and found the source I record
is louder now, by about 4dB. I'd written to my favourite DJ at
the station and mentioned they were a bit quiet overall and it
seems they've fixed it, which is great. Fifty minutes into the
show and 'ebumeter' suggests they could hardly be closer to spot on.
Unlike the next channel up which is stupid loud.

Thanks for that meter Fons.

--
John.