[LAU] Edirol FA101 on Ubuntu

David W. Jones gnome at hawaii.rr.com
Mon Jul 6 02:45:13 CEST 2020

Hmm. I have a Dell XPS 15 7590.

Try JACK with the firewire drivers.

Devices attached to the Thunderbolt port may require permissions to connect to the port. But I have a Dell Thunderbolt 3 dock (need for Ethernet and more USB ports), that may have required the permissions. There's a settings area in the Dell BIOS that controls Thunderbolt permissions.

I've heard that this chain of adapters works: Firewire device to Apple's FW to Thunderbolt 2 adaptor, then to a Thunderbolt 2 to Thunderbolt 3 adapter. Someone (not me) on the list mentioned that they had it working some time ago.

When I got it, I had read that Ubuntu 19 supported the Thunderbolt dock but 18 didn't. I tried both, neither worked. 18 crashed when installing, 19 installed but with no network connection. This was all before Ubuntu 20 was around.

Debian 10 installed and works fine. There's some Linux commandline tools for managing Thunderbolt devices. You might want to add them.

I can check later, I think I still have the relevant pages bookmarked on my laptop.

On July 5, 2020 8:48:57 AM HST, di.heumo at gmail.com wrote:
>Hi there,
>
>I'm new to the list. Composer/musician using Supercollider, I just
>moved from MacOS to Ubuntu 18.04. I was under the impression that the
>Edirol FA101 firewire audio interface should be working on Ubuntu, but
>I find it hard to figure out where to begin. The device is connected
>with an adapter to a Thunderbolt port on my Dell laptop. cat
>/proc/asound/cards does not show the device unfortunately.
>
>When I do lspci -tv in terminal, the Thunderbolt port seems to be
>recognized:
>+-1b.0-[02-3a]----00.0-[03-3a]--+-00.0-[04]----00.0  Intel Corporation
>JHL6340 Thunderbolt 3 NHI (C step) [Alpine Ridge 2C 2016]
>           |                               +-01.0-[05-39]--
>|                               \-02.0-[3a]----00.0  Intel Corporation
>Device 15db
>
>Can anyone point me in some direction for a solution to this?
>
>Thanks!
>Robert
>

>>Robert van Heumen
>software developer, composer, sound designer, improvisor
>west28.nl[1]
>
>--------
>[1] west28.nl

---
David W. Jones
gnome at hawaii.rr.com
authenticity, honesty, community
http://dancingtreefrog.com

Sent from my Android device with F/LOSS K-9 Mail.