[LAU] hypothetical question

Robert Vogel vogelrl at gmx.com
Sat Mar 7 20:12:05 CET 2020

Hi Jeanette,

I actually own and enjoy a Yamaha Motif ES8
<https://usa.yamaha.com/files/download/other_assets/9/333989/motifese1.pdf>,
which is quite versatile.

It has a lot of features, except very limited memory (somewhat
expandable but I am chicken to take it apart and install more), the USB
connector only takes very old devices, and it has a tiny LCD screen
which does a lot, but any good computer monitor would put to shame.

So, my dream is to be able to use a very basic weighted keyboard,
connected to free software that is at least as capable as the Yamaha.

Mainly, I use it as a conventional keyboard instrument with many voices,
but also playback midi files for accompaniment, so I feel like i am with
a small jazz group.

Many individual components exist in free software, the problem is to put
them together in a well designed manner.

I think Musescore would be a good start.

Bob

PS: I have done a little development that you can see at
https://sourceforge.net/projects/gmorgan/,
<https://sourceforge.net/projects/gmorgan/>

For some unknown reason Debian would not update to an improved version
.79, so people shouldn't use the Debian version.

It can easily be compiled from Sourceforge.