[LAU] aconnect oddities

Max abonnements at revolwear.com
Wed Mar 18 14:02:41 CET 2020

On 17.03.20 15:47, Christopher Arndt wrote:
>> $ aconnect tickle:0 Pure Data:1
>>
>> just works.
>
> Look at the acconnect man page:
>
> 'The address can be given using the client's name.
>
>         % aconnect External:0 Emu8000:1
>
> Then the port 0 of the client matching with the string "External" is
> connected to the port 1 of the client matching with the "Emu8000".'
>
> The keyword here is "matching", i.e. you can refer to clients using a
> sub-string of their name and that's what's happening in your example.

ok, got it, It's some kind of "smartness" in aconnect which is
obfuscating my user error.

It seems that while software has these ports 0 and 1 like in "Pure
Data:0" for the MIDI sink and "Pure Data:1" for the MIDI source,

For hardware, both sink and source are referred to as the ID 0.
Is that correct?

In my case this it what works:

aconnect "tickle:0" "Pure Data:0"
aconnect "Pure Data:1" "tickle:0"

I also tried with some other MIDI hardware here and it seems to be
consistent with what Korg and AKAI are doing.

m.