[LAU] Physical distance performance with Linux?

Chris Caudle chris at chriscaudle.org
Tue May 5 21:02:59 CEST 2020

On Tue, May 5, 2020 1:07 pm, Paul Davis wrote:
> The one thing I remember about soundjack from the presentation at
> tonmeistertage years ago was that inter-continental latencies are MUCH
> worse than in-country, often to the point of not being very usable. This
> isn't due to soundjack but the nature of routing across sub-ocean links
> etc. Just something to be aware of if you're trying to connect and work
> with people a *long* way away.

That should also apply in general to the number of routing devices the
link has to traverse, and general distance.  So same city would be better,
same ISP  in the same city wold probably be better still.  Best would be
same building connecting through a single building Ethernet switch.

I watched that Doobie Brothers performance originally mentioned, and I
don't think that was live.  That is one possibility if you don't mind,
have one person start a session then pass it around, everyone adds their
part.  Not as enjoyable as performing together with other people, but
probably results in a better quality performance overall.

--
Chris Caudle