[LAU] How to prevent applications from changing my mic level?

Len Ovens len at ovenwerks.net
Wed May 6 22:04:03 CEST 2020

On Wed, 6 May 2020, Bill Purvis wrote:

> This thread prompted me to look at it. I tried
>
>     pacmd set-default-sink jack_out
>
> which does the trick, assuming you have the pulseaudio-jack module loaded.

I do not know if you can test or not. What happens if you plug a USB audio
device while this is running? I have found in the past that default tends
to switch to the newly plugged in device on the assumption that if you
plugged it in you surely want to use it :)

> Having got there, adding the command to the end of
> /etc/pulseaudio/default.pa
> should make it set that whenever it starts up. I've yet to try that as I
> don't
> reboot more often than necessary.

This still leaves the effects access to another alsa device has on a
pulse-jack bridge. you may also wish to comment out:

-----------------8<----------------------
.ifexists module-udev-detect.so
load-module module-udev-detect
.else
### Use the static hardware detection module (for systems that lack udev
support)
load-module module-detect
.endif

Perhaps on a system with only one device this is not a problem, but most
mother boards now have at least two, internal and HDMI. Add a USB device
to that and the chance of pulse having two different deadlines to deal
with is higher...

--
Len Ovens
www.ovenwerks.net