[LAU] How to prevent applications from changing my mic level?

Len Ovens len at ovenwerks.net
Thu May 7 18:24:38 CEST 2020

On Thu, 7 May 2020, Bill Purvis wrote:

> which is a bind on my laptop as most of the time I have it set to the
> headphones socket, and it
> doesn't switch to the internal speakers if I unplug it. I think ALSA
> used to do that automatically.

No, ALSA does not do this, pulse does. So when jack takes the device,
pulse no longer deals with it. Most newer systems can be switched by
changing levels in ALSA. Some systems have pin switching that needs to be
done (as root) and yet other systems do the switching physically in the
plug. headphone plugin/out are not hard to detect, but knowing what to do
is system dependent even with alsa, while most systems use the "headphone"
label, it is a tossup if the speakers are "Speakers", "Front" or something
else.

--
Len Ovens
www.ovenwerks.net