[LAU] Midi over Internet

Len Ovens len at ovenwerks.net
Thu May 14 16:14:07 CEST 2020

On Thu, 14 May 2020, rosea.grammostola wrote:

> What are the possibilities for me if I want to sent midi data trough a
> crossover-cable in a local network?

Not sure what you mean by a crossover cable here but probably not whatever
I am thinking :)

> Play a synth from a midi sequencer on host A, sent it to a synth on host B.
>
> Linux - Linux and maybe Linux - OSX.
>
> I think I tried QmidiNet once, but it gave me quite some latency iirc.

I can't speak for the latency, some of that would be jack (if used) on
either end but some may also be network. How local is the LAN? how many
switches/routers does the signal go through? how busy is the LAN? Is
wireless involved? Are there any old style hubs? Is there any traffic
shaping going on?

I do not know if this is any better than ipmidi (QmidiNet) but there was
an announcement last month:
https://lists.linuxaudio.org/archives/linux-audio-announce/2020-April/002798.html
https://github.com/davidmoreno/rtpmidid/releases

rtpmidi is compatable with the built in rtmidi in MacOs/osx etc.

--
Len Ovens
www.ovenwerks.net