[LAU] How to combine microphone audio and music from application to pipe to video conference

david gnome at hawaii.rr.com
Sat May 16 07:56:09 CEST 2020

On 5/15/20 7:25 PM, Len Ovens wrote:
> On Fri, 15 May 2020, Samir Parikh wrote:
>
>> I am trying to combine the audio from my microphone (either built in
>> microphone from my laptop or bluetooth headset) with music playing
>> from Rhythmbox Music Player running on Ubuntu 16.04 and pipe that as
>> the audio input to video conference services such as Jitsi.
>>
>> I don't know much about Linux audio internals and wasn't sure how to
>> do this.  Can I do this completely via the operating system using
>> Pulse Audio?  Do I need to do something with Jack?  Or do I need
>> specialized software such as OBS, Ardour or Reaper?
>
> OBS is probably the easiest way. You can add your local video if
> needed as well. OBS will work fine with just pulse or jack. I don't
> know much about jitsi it self but if it uses pulse as the default
> device there should be no problem.

I just checked the Jitsi Meet using Chromium (they recommend
Chrome/Chromium, apparently Jitsi uses some newer streaming standards
that Firefox either doesn't fully support or is just simply too slow).
For microphone, it offers my USB headset, USB audio, Builtin and
Pulseaudo JACK source. Which I remember I do have Pulseaudio set up here
feeding to JACK sink. Output include the preceding plus PA Jack sink.

I think that means you could have either your streaming audio going into
it, or your microphone, but not both.

--
David W. Jones
gnome at hawaii.rr.com
authenticity, honesty, community
http://dancingtreefrog.com
"My password is the last 8 digits of π."