[LAU] How to combine microphone audio and music from application to pipe to video conference

david gnome at hawaii.rr.com
Sat May 16 08:07:46 CEST 2020

On 5/15/20 7:56 PM, david wrote:
> On 5/15/20 7:25 PM, Len Ovens wrote:
>> On Fri, 15 May 2020, Samir Parikh wrote:
>>
>>> I am trying to combine the audio from my microphone (either built in
>>> microphone from my laptop or bluetooth headset) with music playing
>>> from Rhythmbox Music Player running on Ubuntu 16.04 and pipe that as
>>> the audio input to video conference services such as Jitsi.
>>>
>>> I don't know much about Linux audio internals and wasn't sure how to
>>> do this.  Can I do this completely via the operating system using
>>> Pulse Audio?  Do I need to do something with Jack?  Or do I need
>>> specialized software such as OBS, Ardour or Reaper?
>>
>> OBS is probably the easiest way. You can add your local video if
>> needed as well. OBS will work fine with just pulse or jack. I don't
>> know much about jitsi it self but if it uses pulse as the default
>> device there should be no problem.
>
> I just checked the Jitsi Meet using Chromium (they recommend
> Chrome/Chromium, apparently Jitsi uses some newer streaming standards
> that Firefox either doesn't fully support or is just simply too slow).
> For microphone, it offers my USB headset, USB audio, Builtin and
> Pulseaudo JACK source. Which I remember I do have Pulseaudio set up
> here feeding to JACK sink. Output include the preceding plus PA Jack
> sink.
>
> I think that means you could have either your streaming audio going
> into it, or your microphone, but not both.

FWIW, I just tried using the PA Jack Source as my "microphone" input.
Not a sound, even with music playing into it. So, good luck. If you can
do live streaming on YouTube, I suppose you could live stream your audio
that way and play the YT URL in Jitsi.

--
David W. Jones
gnome at hawaii.rr.com
authenticity, honesty, community
http://dancingtreefrog.com
"My password is the last 8 digits of π."