[LAU] Getting Rhythmbox to Appear in qjackctl

Samir Parikh spython01 at gmail.com
Wed May 20 19:03:38 CEST 2020

Hi Everyone, I'm back!

How do I get Rhythmbox (GNOME application similar to iTunes) to appear
in qjackctl?

To recap:  I'm trying to take the output of music playing from Rhythmbox
and combine that with my microphone (either onboard laptop or bluetooth
headset) to pipe both into the Jitsi Meet videoconference service[1].
Thanks again to everyone who has been helping me thus far.  Based on the
feedback I received, I'm going to try to solve my issue using JACK.

Over the past few days, I have been doing more research, reading wiki
pages and watching YouTube videos to become more familiar with JACK and
the various tools.  Thus far, I have:

- installed qjackctl and its dependencies on Ubuntu 16.04

- updated /etc/security/limits.conf with:
   @audio           -       rtprio          95
   @audio           -       memlock         unlimited
   per these instructions[2]

- added my userid to the audio group

- installed pulseaudio-module-jack

- installed gstreamer1.0-plugins.bad

- I have NOT installed the low latency kernel

I can now start the JACK server without any XRUNS after changing my
Output and Input devices to hw:PCH but I can't get Rhythmbox to appear
under "Readable Clients/Output Port" in the Connections window in
qjackctl.  I'm struggling to figure out how to set these GStreamer
values[3] assuming that this is even the solution to my problem.

Any pointers in the right direction would be appreciated.

Thanks
Samir

[1]
https://lists.linuxaudio.org/archives/linux-audio-user/2020-May/113035.html