[LAU] Hardware timers?

Roger gurusonic at gmail.com
Wed Sep 2 00:41:36 CEST 2020

On 2/9/20 4:14 am, Mac wrote:

> On Mon, Aug 31, 2020 at 7:17 AM Roger <gurusonic at gmail.com
> <mailto:gurusonic at gmail.com>> wrote:
>
>     I'm just experimenting with new setups of Debian for audio. When
>     running
>     RealtimeConfigQuickScan it triggered a vague recollection of a
>     discussion (here?) that configuring hpet and rtc timers is no longer
>     necessary as they are not used any more. Is this true or am I
>     misremembering?
>
>     The wiki guide at
>     https://wiki.linuxaudio.org/wiki/system_configuration
>     is still a goldmine for setup but it contains some sections of
>     which I
>     am unsure whether they are still applicable, including the HW
>     timers bit.
>

> Hmm...doing similar, but, I can't get the cpu frequency to stay set
> between boots...

I get around that by using Liquorix kernel which I think is hard coded
to use performance governor. The wiki doesn't mention what to do if
scaling driver is intel_pstate although from reading it's possible to
disable that and load acpi-cpufreq scaling driver instead which is
needed to be able to set the governor to performance AFAIK. There are
several pertinent questions on StackOverflow discussing that, like -
https://stackoverflow.com/questions/53349933/specify-cpu-frequency-as-a-kernel-cmd-line-parameter-of-linux-on-boot/53356512

Back to HW timers, it's trivial to set them as explained in the wiki,
but I'm just wondering if they are actually still used?