[LAU] Hardware timers?

david gnome at hawaii.rr.com
Wed Sep 2 07:18:39 CEST 2020

On 9/1/20 12:41 PM, Roger wrote:
> On 2/9/20 4:14 am, Mac wrote:
>>

>> On Mon, Aug 31, 2020 at 7:17 AM Roger <gurusonic at gmail.com
>> <mailto:gurusonic at gmail.com>> wrote:
>>
>>     I'm just experimenting with new setups of Debian for audio. When
>>     running
>>     RealtimeConfigQuickScan it triggered a vague recollection of a
>>     discussion (here?) that configuring hpet and rtc timers is no longer
>>     necessary as they are not used any more. Is this true or am I
>>     misremembering?
>>
>>     The wiki guide at
>>     https://wiki.linuxaudio.org/wiki/system_configuration
>>     is still a goldmine for setup but it contains some sections of
>>     which I
>>     am unsure whether they are still applicable, including the HW
>>     timers bit.
>>

>> Hmm...doing similar, but, I can't get the cpu frequency to stay set
>> between boots...
>>
> I get around that by using Liquorix kernel which I think is hard coded
> to use performance governor. The wiki doesn't mention what to do if
> scaling driver is intel_pstate although from reading it's possible to
> disable that and load acpi-cpufreq scaling driver instead which is
> needed to be able to set the governor to performance AFAIK. There are
> several pertinent questions on StackOverflow discussing that, like -
> https://stackoverflow.com/questions/53349933/specify-cpu-frequency-as-a-kernel-cmd-line-parameter-of-linux-on-boot/53356512

I don't remember what I did on my old i7 to keep it on performance. One
involved having to push the performance setting to EACH CPU/thread, I
think that's covered on that link somewhere. May have been a script. I
don't remember how I did it, but it stuck between boots. I think I
actually tried three different things, so I really don't know which one
did the trick.

I haven't done it on my present i9. Laptops aren't really good homes for
the i9 - needs a whole lot more airflow than a laptop can provide.
Running at 900MHz right now and 115F.

> Back to HW timers, it's trivial to set them as explained in the wiki,
> but I'm just wondering if they are actually still used?

Don't know about that. Wasn't that something that had to be set in the
kernel at compile time?

--
David W. Jones
gnome at hawaii.rr.com
authenticity, honesty, community
http://dancingtreefrog.com
"My password is the last 8 digits of π."