[LAU] Hardware timers?

Edgar Aichinger edogawa at aon.at
Wed Sep 2 13:53:21 CEST 2020

Am Mittwoch, 2. September 2020, 07:18:39 CEST schrieb david:
> I don't remember what I did on my old i7 to keep it on performance. One
> involved having to push the performance setting to EACH CPU/thread, I
> think that's covered on that link somewhere. May have been a script. I
> don't remember how I did it, but it stuck between boots. I think I
> actually tried three different things, so I really don't know which one
> did the trick.

As far as I remember for SysV intit systems the way to make the scaling governor persistent across reboots was to put a command into /etc/init.d/boot.local or some other boot init script. The command would vary with distros, whether they used cpufreq-utils or the newer cpupower suite for this. For cpupower, the command would be "/usr/bin/cpupower -c all frequency-set -g performance".

Systems using systemd would accordingly need a service file added as /etc/systemd/system/cpupower.service, and possibly enabled before it would be run at every boot. I post mine, which I remember having created myself, but I don't remember where I got it from. Anyway this works well for me:

----

[Unit]
Description=CPU powersave

[Service]
Type=oneshot
ExecStart=/usr/bin/cpupower -c all frequency-set -g performance

[Install]
WantedBy=multi-user.target

----