[LAU] MIDI Sequencer

Lorenzo Sutton lorenzofsutton at gmail.com
Fri Apr 9 17:13:20 CEST 2021

On 09/04/21 16:16, Will Godfrey wrote:
> Can anyone suggest a really simple MIDI sequencer, with no extra bells and
> whistles, but just Alsa MIDI in, Alsa MIDI out, with piano roll type editing and
> at least 16 tracks. Ideally, storage would also be standard MIDI files.

Depending on the scenario... I think Rosegarden might still fit in. Keep
in mind that rosegarden can also actually work without jack and with
just (Alsa) MIDI in/out. I know it's maybe not exactly a 'simple'
sequencer per se, but you can use it in 'simple' ways and set it up e.g.
to start with just 16 midi track (no audio), that's how I have my
default template.

seq24 and the newer versions/forks (e.g. seq66) also come to mind and
the editing interface resembles a (very basic) piano roll. Although
seq24 is more aimed at live so you don't have a typical 'track' layout.

There is non-sequencer (but you'll need a bridge for alsa midi). Never
really used it though as I couldn't get accustomed to it's 'piano roll'.

There are a bunch of other sequencers which were quite straightforward
like Jazz++ but I think most are abandonware these days.

Hope this helps.

Lorenzo.