[LAU] 3.5mm microphone into audio interface?

Fons Adriaensen fons at linuxaudio.org
Sun Apr 11 15:40:52 CEST 2021

On Sun, Apr 11, 2021 at 12:57:31PM +0000, Rodolfo Medina wrote:

> >> I said it was stereo because, when I record with it, the rsulting .wav file
> >> is 2-channel.  Then I concluded it was stereo.

> > Are you telling us that
> >
> > - you don't even know if your mics ar mono or stereo ?
>
> I'm interested in recording different, say e.g. 4, mono channels.  So it's not
> important to me that a certain microphone be stereo, I'm using it as mono
> anyway.  So no, I don't exactly know and it does not matter to what I'm looking
> for. The above microphone produces a 2-channel record.

> > - you can't hear the difference between a mono or stereo recording ?
>
> I've used that microphone just once to record my voice speaking.  Listening
> back to that record, well, no, I couldn't say if it's stereo or mono.

So you don't know, or even care, if your mic requires 1 or 2 channels,
or what polar response it might have.

You don't understand that not the microphone, but the software determines
the number of channels in a file.

Listening to a mono file you imagine it's stereo.

And you seriously want to do audio engineering ??

Then please start learning the basics before you try to do anything else,
or waste other people's time.

Ciao,

--
FA