[LAU] Multichannel playback (was: Four channels playback?)

Rodolfo Medina rodolfo.medina at gmail.com
Thu Apr 29 09:11:57 CEST 2021

Rodolfo Medina <rodolfo.medina at gmail.com> writes:

> It is a sort of experiment.  Suppose you have a multi channel audio file,
> i.e.  composed by, say, three, or four different channels.  Is it possibile
> (I guess it is), and how?, to send each of the four channels into a different
> loudspeaker and so listen to the song...?  Do you think, e.g., the Behringer
> UMC404HD audio interface will allow to do that?

Hi everyone.

I bought the Behringer UMC404HD and plugged three loudspeakers into the
`Playback Outputs' set on the back of it.  Then I did:

 $ ecasound -a:1,2,3 -i:sndfile,3canali.wav -o alsaplugin,2,0

where `3canali.wav' is a 3-channels file.  The above command properly sends
channel 1 into speaker 1 and channel 2 into speaker 2, but does not manage to
send channel 3 into speaker 3.  Actually, the output set on the back of the
Behringer seems to behave in stereo mode rather than as 4 single independent
outputs.  (Moreover, the `B' part of that output set - i.e. 3 and 4 - do not
seem to be active at all and look like dead.)  I begin to believe and be afraid
that what I want is not technically possible at least with that piece of
hardware.  Please help on this issue you experts out there: is it possible and
how to do what I want, and is it possible at all with an audio interface as my
Behringer either with some other device...?

Thanks for any help,

Rodolfo