[LAU] Multichannel playback (was: Four channels playback?)

Jeanette C. julien at mail.upb.de
Thu Apr 29 09:27:29 CEST 2021

Apr 29 2021, Rodolfo Medina has written:
> $ ecasound -a:1,2,3 -i:sndfile,3canali.wav -o alsaplugin,2,0
For a start the above looks a little strange. A chain is one route,
however many channels it has. I'd personally write:
ecasound -a:1 -f:16,3,44100 -i 3canali.wav -o alsaplugin,2,0
That is, if your file has a samplerate of 44.1kHz.

Have you looked at alsamixer or some other graphic mixer to see how your
soundcard is configured? Maybe the volume on something is down or there
are switches to change the behaviour? There is a speaker-test program
that is design for at least 5.1 playback, it could help to find out if
output is coming through the third output.

My personal shortcut would be to start jack. If the system recognises
four outputs at all, they'll be shown as jack ports. Then you could use
jack_metro to generate a sound and in turn connect it to every output
port of your card:
jack_metro -b 120
jack_connect metro:120_bpm system:playback_1
jack_disconnect metro:120_bpm system:playback_1
jack_connect metro:120_bpm system:playback_2

HTH.

Best wishes,

Jeanette

  * GitHub: https://github.com/jeanette-c