[LAU] Open Sound Control: Is it still a thing?

robertlazarski robertlazarski at gmail.com
Fri Apr 30 23:51:32 CEST 2021

On Fri, Apr 30, 2021 at 11:10 AM Fons Adriaensen <fons at linuxaudio.org>
wrote:

> On Fri, Apr 30, 2021 at 10:17:01PM +0200, Winfried Ritsch wrote:
>
> > I always assumed OSC  1.0 can be used over any transport, mostly I use
> TCP/IP,
> > sometimes serial, so it would be good to know where this stated to argue
> that
> > and
> > why OSC 1.0 is only UDP ?
>
> The problem with any transport that is just a stream of bytes is that it
> complicates the OSC decoder. You have to feed it byte by byte, and it has
> to remember its state until it gets the next byte if the packet is not yet
> complete.
>
> Of course if there are pauses between packets you could be lucky and
> actually get complete packets from a TCP socket each time you read it
> with a timeout. But that's inherently fragile and you can't rely on it.
>
> Ciao,
>
> --
> FA

I do have some experience with open source JSON decoders over HTTP, which
handles state while reading the stream. I do notice the Behringer Wing uses
JSON for its OSC implementation.

Still, I also work a lot with udp for high volume applications and despite
its shortcomings I would choose udp over MIDI if I had a choice. I get
frustrated with midi often due to lack of universal MTC/MMC and note
mappings support and moved into control voltage sequencing when my synths
can do it ... ARP 2600 and Korg MS20M for example.

Robert