[LAU] Mixers and Free Software (was Open Sound Control: Is it still a thing?)

worik root at worik.org
Fri Apr 30 23:48:34 CEST 2021

On 27/04/21 7:30 pm, Peter P. wrote:
> * worik <root at worik.org> [2021-04-27 09:23]:
>> Vaguely Linux Audio related
>>
>> Is Open Sound Control still a thing?  Was it ever?

I realise I put a silly subject on my email, so I changed it.

I need to get a mixer, primarily  for mixing live bands.  At least
sixteen inputs, preferably more, into stereo or more channels.

I would like to have a interface to it from a tablet and less
importantly I would like wider options for controlling it over some sort
of IP network (TCP/IP probably).  There are a lot of nice products
available, but it is hard for me to tell if the software and protocols
are ones I can use from my own software.   I feel a bit like a babe in
the woods!

I am price sensitive, and I am not the only decision maker.  It is hard
to make non technical people see the danger in a piece of equipment
whose main control is a app on a iPad.  I want to be using it in five
and fifteen years from now.  We will look after it.

My problem is identifying hardware that meets what seem like  peculiar
requirements to others.  Decision criteria.

The background is we have a set of amplifiers we use for community gigs
here in Ōtepoti, New Zealand.  The missing piece is a decent mixer.

In this thread there have been some interesting things, a bit
overwhelming...

* Dante

* I am a beginner but I think MIDI and OSC are for different things

* LTC

* MTC

* MMC

* OSC in JSON

* "Rendering Engine" - Sara/DS100.  Not sure what this is...  Looks like
more than we need, opening up possibilities we have not thought of

* Monome Norns, PedalinoMini, Step Audio, Lawo,

Awesome!

Worik

-- If not me then who? If not now then when? If not here then where? So,
here I stand, I can do no other root at worik.org 021-1680650, (03) 4821804
Aotearoa (New Zealand)