[LAU] project "droning": 10 years, 300 tracks

Louigi Verona louigi.verona at gmail.com
Tue Feb 2 12:55:08 CET 2021

Hey David!

Thank you for your comments!

"I listened to Droning 300 today and the instruments sounded just like the
ones my friend uses in his FL Studio songs."

You mean "Healing Fountain"? Healing Fountain is all DSP and samples that I
created myself. There is a glissando that uses some sort of marimba, but
even the "laser" sound is the sound that I created myself from scratch
using 3xOSC synth.

In general, if you avoid using exactly the same presets, I think it's very
difficult to gauge what you use to create music. If you would go back to my
droning project, I doubt that in most cases you can tell when I used FL
Studio and when I used my Linux Audio setup.

"getting good sound and high quality mixing required tools that are simply
unavailable on Linux today.
Really?"

Unfortunately.

I think I won't make a claim that it is totally impossible, but it's
definitely not trivial. I have produced hundreds of tunes with Linux Audio
and explored loads of tools during that time, but I couldn't even find an
EQ that would work well for me. There is one EQ product that seems ok, but
for me it was unstable and kept crashing my projects.

Additionally, high quality plugins matter, just like high quality equipment
matters. I was using ZynReverb while on Linux and it created all sorts of
problems for me. The quality of my mixes has changed dramatically when I
switched to Valhalla, because it's reverb made by a company that put a
decade into perfecting it. They made sure, for example, that it would
produce a smoother sound, heal resonating frequencies, etc. They have a
description of this on their website and a YouTube channel too.

Louigi Verona
https://louigiverona.com/