[LAU] project "droning": 10 years, 300 tracks

david gnome at hawaii.rr.com
Wed Feb 3 05:19:13 CET 2021

On 2/2/21 1:55 AM, Louigi Verona wrote:
> Hey David!

Yo, The Louigi!
> Thank you for your comments!
>
> "I listened to Droning 300 today and the instruments sounded just like
> the ones my friend uses in his FL Studio songs."
>
> You mean "Healing Fountain"? Healing Fountain is all DSP and samples
> that I created myself. There is a glissando that uses some sort of
> marimba, but even the "laser" sound is the sound that I created myself
> from scratch using 3xOSC synth.

It sounded like the more-or-less standard FL Studio strings to me. Maybe
I'm mixing #300 up with one of the other ones produced with FL Studio.

> In general, if you avoid using exactly the same presets, I think it's
> very difficult to gauge what you use to create music. If you would go
> back to my droning project, I doubt that in most cases you can tell
> when I used FL Studio and when I used my Linux Audio setup.
>
> "getting good sound and high quality mixing required tools that are
> simply unavailable on Linux today.
> Really?"
>
> Unfortunately.

Could be my ears, but the only time I ran into a reverb that caused me
problems with sound turned out to be my own fault - I ran it through the
reverb a couple of times, I think that amplified or otherwise brought
out any effects the reverb might have had on the frequency spectrum.

I'm not a pro and only listening on headphones. Listening to your
earlier tracks compared to the newest ones gives me no awareness of a
"quality" difference.

> I think I won't make a claim that it is totally impossible, but it's
> definitely not trivial. I have produced hundreds of tunes with Linux
> Audio and explored loads of tools during that time, but I couldn't
> even find an EQ that would work well for me. There is one EQ product
> that seems ok, but for me it was unstable and kept crashing my projects.

Which one was that? I haven't used any EQs at all.
> Additionally, high quality plugins matter, just like high quality
> equipment matters. I was using ZynReverb while on Linux and it created
> all sorts of problems for me. The quality of my mixes has changed
> dramatically when I switched to Valhalla, because it's reverb made by
> a company that put a decade into perfecting it. They made sure, for
> example, that it would produce a smoother sound, heal resonating
> frequencies, etc. They have a description of this on their website and
> a YouTube channel too.

Cool.

What I'm more curious about is how you make dronings. I've not done any,
just regular music things, and that process alone takes forever -
multiple listen throughs, tweak, listen through. Some of your tracks are
very long, like droning142, a bit over 2 hours long. I think of them
almost as computer programs. Do you repeatedly listen through each and
tweak as you make one?

--
David W. Jones
gnome at hawaii.rr.com
authenticity, honesty, community
http://dancingtreefrog.com
"My password is the last 8 digits of π."