[LAU] Weird behaviour with Calf Fluidsynth

Bill Purvis bill at billp.org
Tue Feb 2 15:42:09 CET 2021

Hi,
Does anyone use Calf FluidSynth?
I have used it for ages now with my home-grown midi sequencer, but have
noticed
odd behaviour just lately.
This is to do with sending Program Change events. My sequence (and the
MIDI protocol)
expect channels to be numbered 0 - 15, though most programs and physical
devices tend
to refer to these as 1 - 16. That's not a problem for me. What is a
problem is Fluidsynth
now seems to be treating 0 - 15 as 2 - 17?

I'm trying to sort out a midi file for a friend - generated by a Windows
Package - and
the file has 4 tracks (not counting track 0) for Violinx3, Viola and
Cello. The midifile
treats these as channels 0 - 3, at least initially. However, Fluidsynth,
which always
starts up with Piano for all channels (except 10) sets channels 2,3,4
and 5 to these
devices. I've got a program to monitor the midi events sent over Jack
and this convinces
me that the Program Change events are specifying the right channels, so
I can only assume
that Fluidsynth is mapping 0 - 3 onto 2 - 5, which sounds like a bug.

As it happens it turns out that when the midifile want to witch to
pizzicato, it switches
to channels 4-7 (5-8 in user terms) but hasn't specified a program for
those channels!

I found the Calf website not very helpful about fluidsynth, and I don't
really want to get
signed up to another email list to discuss bugs in fluidsynth. Just
wondered if anyone
on this list had come across this.

Bill