[LAU] project "droning": 10 years, 300 tracks

Louigi Verona louigi.verona at gmail.com
Wed Feb 3 12:17:18 CET 2021

Hey Tim!

I think we have to always take into account that with open source it
becomes personal very quickly. Unlike commercial products, an open source
program is likely to be coded by someone in our community.
But we also have to be careful to not suppress any and all criticism simply
because someone might be unhappy that their work is criticized. I have
written a small essay about criticizing FLOSS here
<https://louigiverona.com/?page=projects&s=writings&t=philosophy&a=philosophy_criticizefloss>.
You might disagree with it, of course, but I am just pointing out that I
gave it some thought.

And my needs as an ambient composer are pretty special.

In case of project "droning", you tend to work with long sounds where
resonating frequencies could be a huge problem. But this is not necessarily
a problem for other uses. I don't know which EQs and reverbs you've
authored, I don't know if I've ever used your work, but I need long lush
reverbs for my work. If your reverb is plate reverb, for instance, I have
nothing to say about it.

I also have no idea what to report. If there is a way to constructively
criticize, say, Freeverb, I don't know how to do it. I am simply not an
expert in creating algorithmic reverbs: I am a consumer of reverbs. All I
know is that with Valhalla the result is dramatically different.

Louigi Verona
https://louigiverona.com/