[LAU] Jack 1 vs. 2

Brent Busby brent at keycorner.org
Thu Feb 4 23:31:05 CET 2021

This subject seems to come up occasionally...

What is the current best practice with regard to Jack classic versus
Jack 2?  It's usually said that Jack 2 is optimized for SMP, but it's
hard to find a machine these days that isn't SMP.  Maybe the two
projects are merging because of this?

Because, Jack 1 hasn't gone away.  In fact, the only version of
jack-audio-connection-kit currently in Gentoo (no overlay) has a version
string of 0.125.0-r1, and I presume that's Jack 1.  I've got a local
overlay with 1.9.12 that I've been using, so I can fight this of
course...but should I?  Is everyone being advised to move to Jack 1 now?
For what it's worth in deciding, I prefer not to use dbus for control
(or for anything at all, when I can avoid it), and I'm using QJackCtl as
a frontend.