[LAU] Jack 1 vs. 2

Fons Adriaensen fons at linuxaudio.org
Fri Feb 5 13:43:23 CET 2021

On Fri, Feb 05, 2021 at 09:43:07AM +0100, Peter P. wrote:

> Are you able to compile your own jack1
> with your patch(es) applied and does it fix your problem?

Reviewing the notes I made at the time, there was actually
a second step planned but never executed.

The new algorithm to find the running order was much simpler
than the original - it maintained a very light data structure
representing the dependencies between clients and therefore
didn't require scanning all port connections as did the
original.

That meant it could be run inside the processing cycle and
trigger clients in real time, without any significant overhead,
instead of creating a list. This would have made Jack1
multithreaded, providing the same advantages as Jack2.

After the patch was rejected I lost interest, so this was
never tried, at least not in Jack1.

Ciao,

--
FA