[LAU] DAWs and licensing Was: Symphony of love illusive

Louigi Verona louigi.verona at gmail.com
Mon Feb 15 11:36:28 CET 2021

Sam,

Your argument is unconvincing not because I was lucky, but because a quick
Google search reveals that your claim is factually incorrect.

Let's take a look at the three products, mentioned so far in this thread:
Ableton Live, Bitwig and FL Studio.

*Ableton Live.*
No forced upgrades. All projects are backwards compatible. Moreover, you
can save an old project with a new version in a way that will still be
compatible with an old version. They have a special page
<https://help.ableton.com/hc/en-us/articles/360000841004-Backward-Compatibility>,
explaining that. You can use the software on 2 computers. You can request
additional unlocks, if you've run out of them.

*Bitwig.*
No forced upgrades. Can be activated on 2 or 3 computers, depending on the
license.

*FL Studio.*
Lifetime free upgrades. You can also buy the latest version, but get access
to older installers, if necessary. No limitations on the amount of
computers it can be activated on.

That took me 10 minutes to research.

I can also say that in many cases old plugins work just fine in many modern
DAWs. I was able to run Orange Vocoder in a modern FL Studio, although the
plugin is from 1998. That's over 20 years ago, and it runs just fine.

L.V.