[LAU] ssr and alternatives

Brandon Hale bthaleproductions at gmail.com
Fri Feb 26 16:26:23 CET 2021

Hey Jeanette :),

> It's no surprise that I willmention Csound, which can do quite a bit in
> the way of ambisonics. I'm sure PD (PureData) and SuperCollider (SC) can
> do the same and they have good graphical interfaces.
I have not used Csound, but I would love to learn it for its ugen
capabilities. Its ugen list is HUGE.

I've looked into ambisonics in pd, as I have been using pd for a while,
and I have not found a library that works for me as of yet. Does anyone
know of any? The Hoalibrary for pd looks really good, but it looks like
it hasn't been updated for recent pd versions.

What I'm really looking for is an ambisonic decoder that can decode to
any number of xyz coordinates for a speaker setup. I have not found an
environment on Linux that does this yet. Is there one that exists?

> For Wavefields synthesis I only know of SWONDER, which is older than SSR
> and - I think - no longer maintained, but it's been ages since I looked
> at that.
I'll look into SWONDER. I'm glad I asked here, as there are so many bits
of history that people know about when it comes to software.

I'm not really looking for environments for making compositions. I'm
mostly looking for that decoder that can decode to arbitrary and weird
speaker arrays on Linux.

Thanks so much for your help Jeanette,

Brandon Hale