[LAU] Firewire latency

Len Ovens len at ovenwerks.net
Fri Jan 15 05:20:55 CET 2021

Playing around with an Audiofire 12 and I have just found an interesting
limitation in latency settings. I can easily set my system up to use the
audiofire to use either the alsa drivers or the ffado drivers and have
tried both. I found an interesting result:

using the alsa driver my minimum latency when using JACK is 256/2. If I
try 128/3 (or 128/2) JACK locks up and needs kill -9 to get rid of.

Using the FFADO drivers I have been running JACK at 32/2 for over an hour
with only 1 xrun for the whole time.

So my question for anyone else who has or is using a firewire device is:
Do you also have a similar experience? And which distro?

I am mainly asking for documentation reasons for Studio-controls

--
Len Ovens
www.ovenwerks.net