[LAU] Firewire latency

david gnome at hawaii.rr.com
Fri Jan 15 05:56:24 CET 2021

On 1/14/21 6:20 PM, Len Ovens wrote:
> Playing around with an Audiofire 12 and I have just found an
> interesting limitation in latency settings. I can easily set my system
> up to use the audiofire to use either the alsa drivers or the ffado
> drivers and have tried both. I found an interesting result:
>
> using the alsa driver my minimum latency when using JACK is 256/2. If
> I try 128/3 (or 128/2) JACK locks up and needs kill -9 to get rid of.
>
> Using the FFADO drivers I have been running JACK at 32/2 for over an
> hour with only 1 xrun for the whole time.
>
> So my question for anyone else who has or is using a firewire device
> is: Do you also have a similar experience? And which distro?
>
> I am mainly asking for documentation reasons for Studio-controls

Sorry, can't answer any of those questions... but how are you connecting
your Audiofire? I have one here sitting unused because the one laptop
that had a Firewire connection died a decade ago. I have a desktop
system available, so a PCIe-Firewire card would be an option, or my Dell
laptop with USB-C.

Ideas?

--
David W. Jones
gnome at hawaii.rr.com
authenticity, honesty, community
http://dancingtreefrog.com
"My password is the last 8 digits of π."