[LAU] Firewire latency

Len Ovens len at ovenwerks.net
Fri Jan 15 06:55:45 CET 2021

On Thu, 14 Jan 2021, david wrote:

> Sorry, can't answer any of those questions... but how are you connecting
> your Audiofire? I have one here sitting unused because the one laptop
> that had a Firewire connection died a decade ago. I have a desktop
> system available, so a PCIe-Firewire card would be an option, or my Dell
> laptop with USB-C.

I bought one of these:
https://www.amazon.ca/gp/product/B006DQ0KD2/
  and one of these:
https://www.amazon.ca/gp/product/B002G1YNRW/
I could not get this combination to work. However, when I got this cable:
https://www.amazon.ca/gp/product/B00016W6MS/
  everything worked fine.

I do not know if it was a cable problem or a socket on the card problem.
but the 9 pin to 6 pin (800 to 400) cable worked where the 6 pin to 6 pin
did not. Could be the cable itself was bad.

I will say that the audiofire 12 has better sound than my Delta 66
(ice1712 based PCI card).

ffado-mixer has some things backwards and is unable to save settings to
the box, so my box always comes up on wordclock rather than internal
clock, so I need to set that before I can run jack no matter which drivers
I use. I suppose I should set up a script to do that :)

--
Len Ovens
www.ovenwerks.net