[LAU] Discussion: Future CPU-technology vs. realtime audio?

david gnome at hawaii.rr.com
Fri Jan 29 06:41:32 CET 2021

On 1/27/21 8:41 PM, Len Ovens wrote:
> On Wed, 27 Jan 2021, david wrote:
>
>> Intel doesn't run at top speed "forever". Fastest clock I've got from
>> my nominal 5GHz-max i9 in my Dell XPS 15 is 4.7GHz. Intel runs clock
>> speed until thermals say "Slow down." If you're talking about a
>> laptop, the
>
> Yes heat is the limit. My (older now) i5 will run at rated speed
> forever and in fact can run at .2Ghz over that without triggering heat
> throttling.

Heat *dissipation* is the limit. Laptops are very poor at heat
dissipation. An over-packed compact desk case can have problems. One
benefit to the old-school full height case. ;)
>> specific laptop's ability to dissipate heat is the controlling
>> factor. I'm not sure that Intel thermal control is anywhere within
>> reach of BIOS and OS software.
>
> I would tend to agree with the engineering, but it is possible to set
> the top speed below rated if heat dissapation is not up to full speed.
> My steady state device temperature while building Ardour lets me know
> when I need to clean the dust out... after about 10min of all cores at
> 100% the temperature reaches a top temperature and sits there with no
> speed drop. If I have boost turned on the speed seems to sit .2 Ghz
> higher.

The only way my i9 will hit 5GHz, according to Intel specs, is if it's
only using 1 core.
> From helping people trouble shoot newer HW than mine, it seems newer
> HW (firmware?) does a better job handing out irqs with none of them
> being doubled up. However, it seems harder to prioritize a USB device
> above other USB devices... maybe it matters less for some systems.

Could be, I don't know. Particularly when you start mixing USB1, USB2,
USB3, USB3.2/USB-C into things.
> I got an older firewire device this past year (Audiofire 12) and while
> use under the new ALSA fw modules has been poor (256 frame size
> minimum), Used with the ffado modules... it seems to shine better than
> anything I have seen... it is true that at 16/2 (I thought it needed
> /3 but /2 works) the DSP is up at 25% with just jack running (with
> pulse bridging), there are no xruns unless runninig for days when
> there may be one xrun. This is better than my old ice1712 PCI card
> which can also run at 16/2 but not without the odd xrun. USB? I don't
> have a "good" USB device... but I have not heard great things about
> even the best of them. (my $1 USB 1.1 audio devices will not run below
> 64/2 without locking jack up)

My USB device runs at 64/3. I didn't have any JACK lockups at 64/2, but
got lots of xruns.
> The audio community lost out with the "everything is USB" systems of
> today. I can't afford to try the PCIe cards from AudioScience or the
> like to compare. I hope the next gen is better.
I agree with that. I only hope the USB-C/3.2 doesn't mean a barrage of
proprietary drivers.

--
David W. Jones
gnome at hawaii.rr.com
authenticity, honesty, community
http://dancingtreefrog.com
"My password is the last 8 digits of π."