[LAU] Many Faces of the Gentoo ProAudio overlay

Brent Busby brent at keycorner.org
Wed Jan 27 18:15:01 CET 2021

This question is Gentoo specific, but there isn't a single place where
it would be good to ask, so, for those here who may be Gentoo users:

Which ProAudio overlay should we follow these days?  I know of at least
three of them now!

"nilburn":

This one says it's "The new Gentoo ProAudio Overlay", which I've been
following for awhile, but it never seems to have any changes, so I'm
starting to doubt it's the one everyone is really using.  Oddly, its web
page is at https://gitlab.com/nilburn/proaudio, but the usage
instructions on that page tell you to use the URL below instead:

sync-uri = https://gitlab.com/proaudio/proaudio.git

"tuxfamily":

This is the old one, and I _think_ it's supposed to now be deprecated,
though I'm on its listserv with no posting access (so I can't ask
questions there).  It seems to still get activity now and then.  Is this
still the active overlay?

layman -a pro-audio

"audio-overlay":

Seems small, but with three of them around, what do I know?  Maybe this
one is the one...?

sync-uri = https://github.com/gentoo-audio/audio-overlay.git

I actually do have a working system here, and I've got all the programs
I need, but I'd still like to know how these overlays all relate to
eachother, and where all the action is these days.  I'm so confused.