[LAU] Looking for a (fixed) filterbank plugin

David Kastrup dak at gnu.org
Thu Jul 1 14:08:45 CEST 2021

Fons Adriaensen <fons at linuxaudio.org> writes:

> On Thu, Jul 01, 2021 at 12:40:01PM +0200, Jeanette C. wrote:
>
>> firstly, I know that this is provided by many vocoder plugins, but due to
>> the audio routing in my DAW this is not really feasible.
>>
>> Do you know of a dedicated plugin (preferrably LADSPA) that provides a
>> resonant filterbank, fixed or not?
>
> What do you mean by a 'resonant' filter bank ? The filters used in
> e.g.  vocoders are not really resonant, they are bandpass.

Nothing to do with the actual question, just about the terminology:

Isn't any LTI filter with conjugated pole pairs (Q > 1 or some other
simple constant I'd need to look up) resonant in that it produces a
decaying sine with fixed frequency (for each such pole pair) when its
input is switched off?

I'll agree that "resonant filterbank" sounds a bit strange and reminds
me a bit of mechanical spectrum analysers in the form of an arrangement
of tuned resonators.  Not that there is a particular reason why it
should that I can think of.

--
David Kastrup