[LAU] Touchpad to MIDI

Edgar Aichinger edogawa at aon.at
Thu Jul 29 09:27:54 CEST 2021

Hi Will and list,

Am Dienstag, 27. Juli 2021, 09:22:33 CEST schrieb Will Godfrey:
> Does anyone know of software that can generate MIDI messages from a touchpad?
>
> The idea would be to send CCs to a sequencer or soft synth, but being able to
> send it to an external hardware device would also be very useful.

I'm a bit late but I have two different solutions, both via ALSA seq API:

1. kontroll by Florian Paul Schmidt https://github.com/fps/kontroll[1]

a small gtk/glade GUI program from 2006 that translates mouse position to MIDI CC or OSC.
The original page at tapas.affenbande.org is gone but the github code still compiles and works. I just tested and it emits chosen MIDI CC as soon as the mouse pointer moves.

2. QLC+ http://www.qlcplus.org/[2]

a program to control lighting for clubs, theater etc.
It features a virtual console, i.e. a canvas to place widgets like sliders, knobs etc., including an X/Y area to control moving lights.
It can be configured to send MIDI data instead of DMX, but might be tricky to set up if you're not familiar with the program.

I can assist in getting this to work if you're interested, publically here on the list or via private mail.

Edgar

--------
[1] https://github.com/fps/kontroll
[2] http://www.qlcplus.org/