[LAU] Touchpad to MIDI

Will Godfrey willgodfrey at musically.me.uk
Thu Jul 29 16:26:25 CEST 2021

On Thu, 29 Jul 2021 09:27:54 +0200
Edgar Aichinger <edogawa at aon.at> wrote:

>Hi Will and list,
>
>Am Dienstag, 27. Juli 2021, 09:22:33 CEST schrieb Will Godfrey:
>> Does anyone know of software that can generate MIDI messages from a touchpad?
>>
>> The idea would be to send CCs to a sequencer or soft synth, but being able to
>> send it to an external hardware device would also be very useful.
>>

>I'm a bit late but I have two different solutions, both via ALSA seq API:
>
>1. kontroll by Florian Paul Schmidt https://github.com/fps/kontroll[1]
>
>a small gtk/glade GUI program from 2006 that translates mouse position to MIDI CC or OSC.
>The original page at tapas.affenbande.org is gone but the github code still compiles and works. I just tested and it emits chosen MIDI CC as soon as the mouse pointer moves.
>
>2. QLC+ http://www.qlcplus.org/[2]
>
>a program to control lighting for clubs, theater etc.
>It features a virtual console, i.e. a canvas to place widgets like sliders, knobs etc., including an X/Y area to control moving lights.
>It can be configured to send MIDI data instead of DMX, but might be tricky to set up if you're not familiar with the program.
>
>I can assist in getting this to work if you're interested, publically here on the list or via private mail.
>
>Edgar
>
>--------
>[1] https://github.com/fps/kontroll
>[2] http://www.qlcplus.org/

Thanks to everyone for the further suggestions.
kontrol looks as if it will turn out to be the most lightweight way of doing
this, so thanks a lot for that Edgar.

I'm up to my eyeballs in realtime stuff (the garden) at the moment, along with
the 'little' synth project, but this will go at the top of my list.

--
Will J Godfrey
https://willgodfrey.bandcamp.com/