[LAU] Multiple sound cards

Fons Adriaensen fons at linuxaudio.org
Thu Jun 10 12:46:29 CEST 2021

On Thu, Jun 10, 2021 at 11:53:32AM +0200, Max wrote:

> Oh, Only read now about alsa_in and alsa_out. TIL!
> Anyone knows how they compare to zita-j2a and zita a2j?

Simple answer: badly. This is why I wrote zita-a2j/j2a
in the first place. If you want reliable resuls, use those.

Jack1 (via the -A option) has them built-in, but these
are probably based on an old release of the original and
not updated.

Whatever you use, there will always be a delay difference
between the main soundcard used by Jack and the added one(s).
At least with the zita tools this will be defined and stable,
so you can measure and then compensate for it. In many cases
it won't matter much as long as you don't split a stereo signal
over two interfaces.

BTW, the page on the jack wiki pointed to earlier is
completely out of date. Just ignore whatever is said
there.

Ciao,

--
FA