[LAU] Multiple sound cards

Alf Haakon Pietruszka Lund alf at mellomrommet.no
Thu Jun 10 13:29:17 CEST 2021

On 10.06.2021 12:46, Fons Adriaensen wrote:
> Whatever you use, there will always be a delay difference
> between the main soundcard used by Jack and the added one(s).
> At least with the zita tools this will be defined and stable,
> so you can measure and then compensate for it. In many cases
> it won't matter much as long as you don't split a stereo signal
> over two interfaces.
>
> BTW, the page on the jack wiki pointed to earlier is
> completely out of date. Just ignore whatever is said
> there.

Could (or should) Studio Controls start zita automatically when
connecting more than one soundcard? There's a setting in Studio Controls
'Bridge USB devices to jack when plugged in' that's on by default and
maybe does exactly that.

But if so, it's not clear from the dialog whether this is done via zita
or other measures. The manual at
https://ovenwerks.github.io/studio-controls/extra-devices.html doesn't
say this either, but the overview at
https://ovenwerks.github.io/studio-controls/index.html states that
Studio Controls "Allows multiple audio devices to use JACK at once".

So far my humble testing confirms that, for which I'm very grateful.

Alf